Saturday, April 25, 2009

R-R-Road Trip!


So we returned realllllly early Monday morning from our family road trip. Thus why I have not posted in eons. And oh how I've missed you blog! But it has taken me a full week to recover before any serious internet activity could take place! We did 6 states in one day people! With a not even 3 month old, are you serious! But on the up side of the trip we aquired some new paint by numbers for our collection, and I decided I want everyone else to love them as much as I do, so look out for that next post, as I'm sure you will all soon love them as I do, well maybe not, but I can try...
But whilst we we're in Colorado we went on a steam locomotive, one of the highlights of our trip!But let me tell you it was also very educational... did you realize that our relatives used to cross the country at a whopping 12 miles an hour!!! I couldn't believe how slow it was, after all the iron horse was supposed to be the thing that revolutionized travel! 12 miles an hour! We managed to make 26 miles in 2 1/2 hours going one way... and since we had soooo much time to discuss how slow we were going, my cute Kiwi pointed out that a days ride on a horse was 30 miles, so 26 miles in 2 and a half hours would have rocked great-grandma Cora's socks off! Man no wonder we're so A.D.D. ... what used to take our ancestors days or months, we can accomplish in hours. And what do we do with all that free time... don't even get me started. No wonder they didn't have credit card debt, it would've taken them 2 days with a pack mule to get to the mall and back. Why bother!
Anyways road trips are cool, when your kids are at least a year old... At least they're educational.


3 comments:

  1. Cool! I missed you :) I thought the blogosphere swallowed you up. We're going to Colorado this Summer, any recommendations of cool stuff to do, such as, in what city did you get to go on your train ride? I've never been to Colorado, only through Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen! We we're in south west Col. and my memories of it as a kid are amazing... I had never been there this time of year, so it was a little disappointing, since they're having a late winter, but still really cool! We did the train from Durango to Silverton... Silverton is the coolest old mining town that looks like nothing has changed in 100 years! And I was looking at a book of the San Juans, the mountains that you go thru to get there, and it was featuring it in the summer time... absolutely breath taking! So green and wild flowers everywhere. Then by car we continued to "America's little Switzerland" Ouray and there is an alpine loop you can do in a 4 wheeler, where supposedly the Coors falls are, I remember that being amazing when I was a kid, it was snowed in this time though. I also have some amazing photos of me as a kid in Aspen with just 1000's of wildflowers everywhere. 2 other recommendations from others we're Garden of the Gods near Col. Springs and Estes park.... I'm jealous you're going in the summer, it's really the best time to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh one other place if you go to SW Col. is you have to go to Mesa Verde, where the old Indian Cliff dwellings are... so facinating and so well preserved!

    ReplyDelete