Tuesday, April 7, 2009

For Penance, I offer Pavlova


So I'm repenting of my "spreads" sins, which I'm sure to still face the consequences for today at 12:15 when I publicly humiliate myself on the scale.

2 cups of butter!!! what was I thinking, there's only 3 of us, that's way too much butter to go around!

So I'm offering something much lighter and less guilt inducing... Pavlova!

There is much to be said about Pavlova, almost every time it's brought up in our home, the conversation about how Australia stole it from New Zealand ensues. It's even mentioned Here on Wikipedia... Man they've got issues! It's just meringue people!


But with that said, it's still worth all the discussion... it's light, marshmallowy, crunchy and super delicious. And with the weather warming up it would be perfect for a spring luncheon or desert on the front porch, or for a mid-morning snack... I would never, yes I would.... I know I have issues...


Ok soooo, the most important thing about making Pavlova, so I'm told, is how high you can get your Pav to stay, (yeah they call it Pav, they shorten everything) and how thin the outside "crust" is....


It's funny, if you have a New Zealand or Australian relative you want to impress, make Pavlova... They're guaranteed to tell you how hard it is to make and how impressed they are at your efforts... And really I don't think it's very hard to put your stand mixer on for 10 minutes then plop it out on a cookie sheet, but maybe I'm missing some crucial step where you sit on the eggs for a day to get them to the right temperature... I dunno...

So anyways here's the recipe, if you make it, let me know how it goes for you... If you got it to stay up without the help of stabilizers or if you buckled under all the "Perfect Pavloa" pressure and used cream of tartar... either way, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

INGREDIENTS

*4 egg whites (room temperature)
*1½ cup super fine sugar (aka baker's sugar)
*1½ teaspoon white vinegar
*1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
*1 ¼ cup heavy cream
*1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced
*confection sugar, to serve


Preheat oven to 350F.
Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and a pinch of sea salt until soft peaks form,
then, with the motor running, gradually add superfine sugar and beat until sugar is incorporated, then add vinegar and vanilla and beat until combined.
Or if you're crazy like me for 10 minutes.
Spoon onto a parchment paper-lined oven tray (or use silpat) and form into a 8-9 inch round.
I use a pencil and trace a dinner sized plate onto the parchment to determine where I'm going to place the Pav...
Reduce oven to 300F and bake for 1½ hours. Turn off oven and, leaving door ajar, stand pavlova in oven for at least 2 hours (but preferably overnight) to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form, spread over pavlova and scatter with strawberries.
Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
And when I say immediately, I mean some time soon:)

Enjoy!
-Old Time Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment