Thursday, April 9, 2009

My favorite way to start the morning!

If you're anything like me, life just doesn't begin with out a cup a joe! But my life has been significantly enhanced since ditching my crummy 'barista' drip coffee maker. Just before our camping trip up north last October, we considered bringing one of those enamel pots you set on the fire, you know to enhance the whole "little house on the praire feel". But after testing one out on a weekend trip and having either the weakest sauce you've ever seen or a mouth full of grounds... really attractive and by the way, very upsetting, considering my husband's and I's affection for coffee rivals our affection for each other, it's true! That's not to say we don't love each other alot, it just lets you know how much we love our coffee! So we had to think of something fast, and my cute Kiwi suddenly remembered how when we were missionaries and couldn't afford the amazing latte's they make in Australia we used a french press!


If you love coffee and you haven't tried one of these, do yourself a favor and raid your couch cusions for some change (these are really cheap) and enjoy what coffee is supposed to taste like!


Oh and while we're on the topic of coffee, I have one more bone to pick with you America, and really Starbucks! Week after week we visit you, like any good friend, always offering you our hard earned cash and what do you give us in exchange? A push button latte with sudds for foam??? I guess I only have myself to blame, I know better, I know what a latte should look like, taste like, why do go back in? I guess we've just been friends for too long and Kean is too far to drive...


When you get a proper latte in Australia or New Zealand this is what it looks like everytime!


beautiful dense foam that's sugary sweet, and you just look at it and it enhances your drinking experince... so don't waste your $3.80 every week (or for some of you every day) on that poor excuse for a latte and find a local spot that cares and will make your latte how it's supposed to be made!

Or like me, you can just give up on the idea of the perfect latte and just enjoy your 200 mg dose of caffeine right in the comfort of your own home.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!! I just pulled out my french press this morning! We have a fancy grind 'n' brew machine, but I wanted a more "homestead" experience this morning, I even tried chopping my whole beans with a knife! Sid laughed at me, I laughed at me, too : ) Didn't work out, I ended up using my electric grinder and french press, yum! I want a kassenhaus manual grinder now . . .

    If you're ever near a Peet's, order the latte machiatto and I promise you will not be disappointed when you look into your cup! I told Sid it's art. And it tastes wonderful, too. It's my treat, some mornings I ask Sid to take me for coffee and a drive . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so cute! A knife! haha... I hve a grinder from the 1800's that I'm gonna bust out and see if it makes a difference... I suppose you could smash them in a tea towel with a cast iron pan too, and stay within the 'homesteadn' fence... I agree Pete's does a way better job, and they do care most of the time ;)

    ReplyDelete