Thursday, April 9, 2009

CAKE POPS!!!

Since I need another distraction in my life right now... I bring you my latest... cake pops!


On one of my new favorite blogs a gal who calls herself Bakerella has innovated even more on the whole cupcake craze! Just when we thought couldn't get any crazier she offers these delectable little bites that are oh so cute! Click here to see some of her great ideas!



Because I have to be somewhat original to feel OK about myself I changed things up just a little bit... and made it only slightly more fattening :



So if you like it simple go to her site and get the recipe, but if you wanna make it fudgy delicious and decadently delightful... throw caution to the wind and proceed below ;)

Get one package devils food cake or similar chocolaty cake mix and make per instructions on back in a regular half-sheet or as us lame-mans call it a cookie sheet.



After cake has cooled (or not if you're impatient like me,) break cake up into small pieces into your stand mixer or large bowl. Pour ganache (recipe below) over the cake pieces and mix on low until fudgy.


For the ganache

8 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup cream
- heat cream on medium high and bring to a boil, remove immediately and pour over chocolate chips
allow to sit for a minute then begin to whisk until smooth.

NOTE: If you don't have a stand mixer and wanna feel really "little house on the prairie" you could mix this by hand, it will just take you a lot longer and make your forearms large like the ladies in Leonardo's paintings...


Ok then take your oh so easy but amazingly delicious cakey fudge stuff (I don't really know what else to call it) and shape into little balls, about the size of a golf ball, maybe a little smaller.
Then chill for 30 min in the fridge or 10 in the freezer on a cookie sheet if you're impatient like me...


As you're waiting get your chocolate and candy melts that you want to use ready.


Melt them in 30 second increments in your microwave until they're nice and smooth.


Then take your cakey fudge balls out of the fridge and get a mini cookie cutter ready. Bakerella likes to use a flower shaped one but I found just the right size round one attached to a bird house shaped cookie cutter that I prefer to use.
Now press your cookie cutter over the cake ball and allow the excess to spill over the top...


Smush the top of the cake ball over the sides of the cookie cutter to get that exaggerated cupcake shape... now push out your cuppycake from the cutter and set aside.



Once you have completed 3 or 4 begin the dipping faze... I find that if I work in small batches it allows for just the right amount of cooling time for the chocolate to set.



Now dip the bottom of your cupcakes into your melted chocolate, making sure to go right under the edge of your cupcake top.


Place your freshly dipped cupcake top down and then insert your lollipop stick into the bottom of your cupcake, going about half way through. Be careful not to get your fudgy chocolaty hands on your nice white lollipop stick... woops :


Allow time to set before proceeding to the topping.


After chocolate has set dip the top into your already melted candy melts, allowing the candy to drip right down to the edge of the chocolate. Then while still soft, decorate with sprinkles or sanding sugar and an M&M to top it off and give it that really cute cupcake look!


Set your cupcake pop into styrofoam or a flower frog to allow it to set...


And there you have one super cute toothsome treat!


There is a really great photo demo here if following along without photos proves to be a little bit challenging for you.
There's just so many possibilities! Bakerella has amazing cake pops right now for easter if you need a last minute project to make your weekend even busier!

ENJOY!

-Old Time Cyndi





4 comments:

  1. These were sooo yummy!! So.. I took some home from Craig's party to enjoy the next day and when I went to eat them the morning after I realized that I had never brought them home! I was so bummed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute ! Those look amazingly delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question!! Should I dip the balls after I have put the sticks in?? Or do I dip them another way? Also, if I want to tint the white dipping chocolate blue do you just add a few drops of food coloring to the chocolate?? It doesn't change the consistency too bad does it?? What kind of dipping chocolate did you use for the harvest party pop cakes??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dawn, I'm super glad you asked, hopefully I can save you some heartache! Don't add anything to the candy melts, you need to purchase them in the color you want them, it will render them unuseable... is that a word? I've purchased them both at Michael's and JoAnns. And yes dip the balls in after you have placed the stick in being careful that you don't get any candy melts or chocolaty fingers on your nice white stick. The colder your cake balls the better so that they don't fall off into your candy melts, but it's happened more than a couple times for me! I'm making them for the ladies Christmas dessert too, so I'll have some cute tree ones that night!

    ReplyDelete