Tuesday, July 21, 2009

what a little point and shoot can do!

I often find my self frustrated by the limitations being a frugal person presents me with, but then I get creative and I make do... and sometimes when I make do, it actually turns out great and I save myself a $1000 to boot! And this last week is no exception, for a long time I've been tempted by the idea of purchasing an SLR camera but have realized it's just a whim and not something that I really, really need.... I guess ever since I've been exposed to the blog world, I've realised the blogs I love the most have great photographs and I've longed to create my own great shots and express my self in that way... But then I started thinking to myself.... "self, you don't need a fancy camera, you live in 2009, where there's a answer for everything!" So I started googling "point and shoot tutorials" and found a few really helpful sites that have guided me in taking better photos... Here is one of the many I found....Photography Tutorial Point and Shoot Camera Layers Magazine ... Pioneer Woman Photography is also a great resource for learning lots about taking pictures, she uses an SLR but I've found that a lot of the principals are the same no matter what you're using... So scour and devour all her great knowledge that she passes on!

So I'm getting to know my little camera a lot better I actually kinda know what the different settings do now, and I'm starting to understand the importance of light and shadow in a good shot... so I'm reading more, learning more and trying and trying again... And this last week I got some really great shots! Yeah for frugality, creative resourcefulness, google and good lighting!

I got a little sweet gaze
a look of amazement at how awesome his mommy is

a coy smile

he thinks my canon's awesome!


she can't resist the squishy face either!

So the moral of the story is, if you can't afford a sweet SLR with lots a fancy lenses... learn more about your little point and shoot and keep trying, you might surprise yourself with what you can come up with!

3 comments:

  1. what wondrful pictures must be that the subjects are special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cyndi, it's Jen. What precious pictures, wow! I'm just starting to try to take better photos myself, though so far I have only one trick down, besides the auto settings! I wanted to let you know that just in case you're ever in the market for a new camera (the time came recently for me when my three-year old model broke and Costco gave me a full refund) and you do want to upgrade you might want to check out the camera we recently purchased. Sid got the tip from his buddy Russ who is a career photographer with the the premium camera gear, he told Sid all he ever really needs is the Canon PowerShot G10. It resulted when Canon took their very best parts from their high end stuff and put them into a smaller sized version. I am loving mine and can't wait to get to know it better! And since I plan to use it forevermore, if possible, priced at around $450, I still consider it a frugal purchase. Just thought I'd share what I was so grateful to have had shared with me! And I can't wait to see more of your personal expression through this medium!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O my gosh! I love these pics! He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete