Saturday, March 13, 2010

Brown Butter Plum Tart

Sadly, I am at the end of my plums that I canned in the summer of '08. Last year there wasn't a great harvest, so we've had to make our canning exploits last.


I decided to make one of my favorite deserts for my bible study brunch and for my neighbor who just had a baby. And since everyone moans when they eat it, I thought I'd do you a favor and share the recipe.

I can't really remember where I first tried this, but I think it was my cousin Catherine that made something like it and it's been a favorite in our house ever since...

So you will need:

* either 2 cups canned plums (or peaches, apricots, apples) or about 8 fresh plums quartered
* 1/2 cup salted butter
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup sugar + 3 tbsp. sugar
* 1 cup flour
* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp. nutmeg

So lets begin... preheat your oven to 350'

then we're gonna brown your butter, and you WILL thank me for this!

Put it on medium high heat for about 5 min. but don't walk away!

You want your butter to have a nice golden color, and it will have a very distinct smell of sweet toasty butteryness! You could take it even a little bit darker than this...
then combine your eggs and sugar, mix well.... then gradually add 1/2 of the flour then the butter and the rest of the flour as not to cook your eggs with the warm butter

And there it is in all it's buttery goodness...

Next toss your plums with 2 tbsp. of sugar (less if the are in a sugary syrup) and the cinnamon and nutmeg then arrange them on the bottom of a cast iron skillet or pie pan


Then spread your dough over the top, finishing it with a dusting of your last tbsp. of sugar that will give this such a wonderful crunch!


Bake for 45-50 min. at 350' then use a knife to seperate the tart from the sides of the pan and invert on a cake stand or plate and enjoy!

I like to serve it with a little bit of vanilla whipped cream... oh yeah...


I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does... there's plenty of variations you could do here, just don't mess with my brown butter...

Your Old Time Friend...

4 comments:

  1. I really wanna try making that, it looks like just my kind of treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment love guys, try it! It's so easy and delicious you'll use the recipe forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of the best desserts ever...especially with your canned plums!! Jodi

    ReplyDelete