Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Grilled Artichokes ala Bandera!

One of my absolute favorite things to eat is Grilled Artichokes... they've become more popular recently and a few restaurants have been trying their hand at them, but there is only one restaurant that has nailed them! And that restaurant is Bandera and they only charge a ridiculous $12 for that perfection. Every where else I've tried them is not quite right, too watery is usually my complaint, so I scoured the Internets to see if I could find someone out there that had figured out Bandera's secret, and alas I did!
So because I like you, I'm willing to pass on this highly treasured secret of chokey goodness...
Oh and if by some chance you happen to be a grilling freak and have a wood fire grill with some hickory, these are gonna be amazing... I had to settle for gas, but it still was surprisingly good!

Lets begin:

Steam your artichokes with a lemon slice, garlic clove and bay leaf for 15-20 min. depending on their size. (25 min. for a especially large choke) You only get one shot at this, so make sure they're done!

As you can see here I was a little too anxious to get mine out of the water and the heart is slightly underdone... whoops :\

When you take them out of the water slice them starting at the stem working down toward the leaves, this will help keep the choke intact and not get all over the leaves.
Rub a little lemon on them and stick them in the fridge for an hour or if you're always late like me, throw them in the freezer for 10 min. This is the MOST important step, so don't skip it. I'm pretty sure this is the step that the restaurants are blowing it on!


While your chokes are chillin' you need to make a little marinade for these beauties:


Get the lemon you used in the beginning and cut one more slice off it and put the slice aside
Now use the juice from the rest of your lemon
3 tablespoons of olive oil
I use one square of frozen crushed garlic (which looks like 1 and 1/2 crushed garlic cloves)
a large pinch of kosher salt
and a a good amount of cracked pepper
(don't be shy with the salt and pepper!)


When you've got about 10-15 min. to go until you're ready to eat throw these beauties on the grill with a healthy amount of marinade on them. BUT before you do that make sure to scoop out the choke! (the hairy bit just above the heart, you don't not want to eat any of that stuff!)


You'll need to flip them over every 2-3 min. to keep them from burning, but a little char is a great thing on these guys!
Every time you flip them give them some more marinade and when you're close to done sprinkle them with a little more kosher salt!


Now it's time to eat! YUMMMM! I serve these beauties up with a garlic remoulade that you can make up in advance and it will last in your fridge for a week!

Garlic Remoulade:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cubes of frozen crushed garlic or 3 fresh cloves minced
3 tablespoons relish
The juice from your slice of lemon you put aside
A large pinch of salt
And a dash of dill weed
(taste and add more lemon or salt if needed)


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Great recipe! Turned out perfect - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoked you tried it and liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe somebody else was obsessed with finding out how to make these. This was Awesome. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO much for this recipe! I've never grilled artichokes before and these turned out perfectly. (You've also reminded me that I haven't been to Bandera in awhile. Will have to remedy that!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You! Thank You! Thank you! My friends and I have all tried to make these and we always fail, this turned out just as good, if not better! Yipppeeeee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndi -- You rock!! I own/operate a small bed and breakfast and these are going on the appetizer list thanks to you!! So lots of people you don't know and most likely never will (including me) will be singing your praise for years to come!!

    ReplyDelete